Monday 12 October 2009

Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving here in the great white north. Makes me think about things I'm thankful for, besides turkey.

For starters, my family. My wonderful children and my wife who is my best friend and confidant. I couldn't imagine life without any of them.

My extended family, who's help in getting through the past months has been invaluable.

My friends, who keep me grounded and laughing, even if I don't see them as often as I should.

My cat. He keeps me amused.

My health, such as it is, I'm showing my age, more aches and pains in the morning, not as energetic as I once was, but I'm not keeping a room at the local clinic. I guess that's good enough.

My talents. They keep me employed and entertained. Nuf' said.

My parents. Even though they aren't here with me anymore, they're here in spirit. They provided me the inspiration to become the person I am, and taught me how to make it in life in their unique way. As strict as my father was he firmly believed in letting someone make mistakes in order to learn consequence. I took him up on that on more than one occasion. He provided me with a childhood of exploration and eager learning. I fell down, he told me to get back up. It worked.

My home. A place of refuge and a place to call mine. A place to put my stuff. It's really that simple, but in my heart it's so much more. It's a place I can get away from the troubles of the world and get lost in my own endeavours. A place I can be me with nobody telling me otherwise.

This is a simple list, and more than likely identical to most other people's. But I'm not a very complicated person, I'm not putting sports cars and harleys on here, even if I had one. Those material things are not what makes a person, they're what makes a person owe more. Toys. They don't matter half as much as what's in a person's heart. So what if this list reveals nothing about me as a person, they do reveal one thing - I know what' important, and what to be thankful for on such a day.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! We in the States have to wait a bit for ours, so I hope you and Kim had a great day and eat much good food.

    ReplyDelete

Yell at me...